Saturday 21 January 2017

My Love of Objects: From Lady Chatterleys Lover to Tony Robinson



My story began as a small child.  There was a path along side the local park, affectionately named "The Pig Trough" - I was searching in the undergrowth for treasure, hitting back plants with a stick like wading through an overgrown jungle. I found it.  One VHS copy of "Lady Chatterleys Lover" ... I proceeded to take this back to my house where I stopped and I knocked, like a door to door sales man, asking my father if he wanted to buy a naughty film.



My intrigue grew as I did, I wanted to find more, to discover, to learn.  My love of history connected with my love of forgotten artifacts when I went to university and qualified as an Archaeologist, here I learned not only the physical skills but the intrinsic value of objects, their meaning, their stories - the theories and links between people and things.  Archaeological theory calls this "personhood", the life of an object.  This personhood of items is what really draws me to objects.  Before anyone asks, yes I have been on Time Team and yes, Tony Robinson is lovely!



So the present day, I opened my Etsy Shop "The Vintage Archaeologist",  to continue my treasure hunting, to pass on objects to others and extend the personhood of those treasures.  Their story continues through time, through their links to people, the people that made them, the people that dis guarded them and the people that will own and love them again.  Im keping these treasures out of a future archaeological spoil heap, for as long as I can, by passing their history on to you.

I've just had a very lovely shiny new banner designed by a very talented Graphic Artist, Terry Cooper.  Highly recommended! I think it reflects this story perfectly (aside from the 18 rated video tape haha!). If you need any work doing I'd 100% send you his way.


So that's how I got to be an Etsy Store owner! I have over 300 items of treasure in my store right now and this is growing week by week.  These unique and amazing objects would just love to have their story continued by you so check it out and see if you can be part of an objects life The Vintage Archaeologist

Next Blog Post I'll update you on my latstest expedition, treasure hunting in the ancient ruins of Caerphilly!

No comments:

Post a Comment